Embarcadero Lago Dos Bocas
Utuado/Arecibo, Puerto Rico - 1999
This project, initiated by the Compañía de Turismo, involved the reconstruction and expansion of the original Embarcadero del Lago Dos Bocas as a stimulus fo recreational/ecotourism in this somewhat isolated sector of the island. A four (4) acre lot was added to the site to provide additional passive recreation areas and parking; the completed project site is approximately seven (7) acres.
The ferry service of the original embarcadero had served as means of transportation for various families that were isolated when the Dos Bocas Reservoir was created in 1939. In the last decades, it has also become an eco-tourist attraction, as well as a way of accessing a series of restaurants that have developed along the lake’s edge. The existing structures at the embarcadero included an administration building, a dry dock facility for the ferries and a bathroom/storage building, as well as various free-standing structures- all were very deteriorated.
On the main site (North), two (2) historically significant buildings were completely rebuilt for ferry ticket, commercial and presentation areas. A third edifice was built for new public restrooms as well as employee and shop/storage facilities. The rest of the Northern section was remodeled to include a new wood boardwalk and floating dock as well as covered resting areas. A new concrete and steel bridge connects the Northern and Southern sites. The passive recreation and parking site (South) has two (2) access roads to PR 123, a boat ramp for trailered recreational/fishing crafts, restrooms, various picnic kiosks, and parking facilities for autos, buses, and trailers. All vehicular/pedestrian surfaces were paved with modular interlocking units and/or exposed aggregate. The facilities were designed to integrate into the surrounding lush mountainous environment, making particular reference to the existing, culturally meaningful, built vernacular.